Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Yummy Fall Recipe



I made this dish for dinner the other night and it was so fabulous I wanted to share it with you:

Butternut Squash and Green Chile Enchiladas
 
 
3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 Anaheim peppers
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1 can (about 10 ounces) green or red enchilada sauce (I used a green hatch chile style)
Sour cream and chopped cilantro, for garnish
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss together squash, oil, salt and pepper.  Spread on a baking sheet and roast until tender, 20 to 30 minutes depending on size of chunks.  Move squash to a dish.  Place peppers on the baking sheet.  Switch heat to broil and broil peppers, turning often, until skins are charred and blistering, about 5 minutes.  Place peppers in a brown paper bag to steam for 10 minutes.  Switch oven heat to 350 degrees.  Remove peppers' skins, seeds and stems and cut into thin strips.  Pour half the enchilada sauce into an 8 by 8 inch baking dish.  Warm tortillas in the microwave for a minute or so, until pliable.  Place about 1 tablespoon cheese, one or two squash cubes on each tortilla.  Roll and place seam side down in the baking dish.  Top with remaining cheese and sauce.  Bake 15 minutes.  Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.
 
I got the recipe from my local newspaper.  It was easy and so tasty.  Let me know if you try it out - I'd love to hear what you think.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...this sounds very scrumptious! I will be printing this out and trying very soon! A few weeks ago I was making "winter curry squash" for my sister that was visiting and I used butternut squash. Much to my delight, RAW butternut squash is delicious!! It tastes very similar to cantaloupe. I imagine that I got my RDAs worth of carotene for that day!! I am definitely a veggie girl!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think. Your voice and story are important to this space.