Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Who You Really Are




I just love this quote.  We may or may not be born blank slates, as John Locke once theorized, but it was soon evident who we really were during those first five years of life.  Then, after the age of five, we begin to get "messages" about what was considered "ok" and what was not, so we complied to an extent, a little or a lot, depending on the individual.  It is likely that we even forgot who we started out as, but that's ok because it is never too late to embrace our true selves.

You might find it easy to reach into your heart and into your past for those lost pieces of who you are.  But, if you are like most of us, time and duty have buried so much of those early characteristics that they are hard to recognize.  We find ourselves having to take on the role of archiologist, searching and digging for our real selves under the years and events we have been through.  Fortunately there are a few shortcuts, if you are interested and willing:

-  Imagine watching yourself as a child.  What do you see?  What does this young person laugh at and gravitate towards?  Write down any images that come to mind....

- Make a list of those things that bring you joy.  The big, exciting things and the simple everyday things.

- Talk to someone who remembers you as a child and ask them to tell you about what you were like.  See yourself through their eyes and what stood out to them about you at that time.

Obviously, these will just be snapshots of your true spirit but they are pieces that can help you compile an idea of the incredibly unique person you were and still are.  It is time to reconnect with who you really are.  It is time.

3 comments:

  1. The last time I asked my mother what I was like as a child she told me I was the same as I am now except that I wasn't such a "bitch". I may avoid asking her to describe me as a child.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I guess we do have to be careful about who we ask. Some people may be able to "see" us a bit better than others.

      Delete
  2. Love this quote and I just pinned it to Pinterest. I lost my job the end of May and I'm trying to recreate my career. It's been a little scary but also very exciting to do some hard core soul searching for what really makes me "tick!" Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think. Your voice and story are important to this space.